Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Silence Is Golden - Day 2 of 365

THE MEMORY-


As I was driving to class, out of habit, I turned on the radio.  A picture of Uncle Pete popped into my head.  Him taking a drive.  I clearly remembered how it was always in the quiet.  Hardly ever would there be any music - in fact if there was, it was because someone in the passenger seat was uncomfortable with the silence and would reach over to turn the radio on.  That passenger was usually me.  I would turn the radio on, and he would give me a playful slap on the hand and say in a caveman voice "My radio, I want off".  I would giggle, roll my eyes and sit along with him in silence.  And on rare occasions, he would either be listening to an audio book or NPR.  As a child, my first reaction was to ask him if he was ok.  He was more than ok.  His response to my question would be a loud "O YAH" and he always said it with a smile.  Wether he was telling the truth or not,  it didn't matter.  I could see a man before me simply happy and content in his own company and of those around him.  I guess there is no need to fill the air with noise when it's already filled with love.   What a wonderful thing.

THE APPLICATION -

Being in the entertainment industry, I live my life "out loud," with music as my soundtrack.  Since music is a huge part of my life, when I listen too it, I normally am not living in the present.  Present in the song, but not present in the moment.   I would even play music when I had people in the car.  My mind would be stimulated by new songs to the point  I simply wouldn't notice anything but the song and the car ahead of me.  Not great when you have company with you.     Tonight,  I was given the opportunity to sit in silence, in my car and notice the world around me.   The sunset, the architecture of the buildings, and the bustling city around me.  It was nice to not think but rather to just "be" - not to mention my driving was much more focused!  I actually fought my habit at one point.  The phone rang, I answered it and when I hung up, my hand went right to the radio dial!  I quickly turned it off and for a 30 min drive,  lived as Pete would.   I learned about the quiet - that it wasn't something wrong, it was something right.  It was divine contentment.

THE REFLECTION -

Next time you're driving, and reach for the radio to fill the silence with noise, fight the urge and enjoy the ride.

2 comments: