Monday, November 15, 2010

Santa's Tool Bag - Day 49 of 365

MEMORY - 

Gift wrap.  It was as important as the gifts that were wrapped inside.  Pete bought only the best and was usually purchased from Costco ( one of his favorite places to shop ).  He would flip on the Christmas carols and get to work, transforming his upstairs loft apartment into Santa's workshop.  I remember as a kid, creeping around the corner from his room.  I would hear sounds of scissors hard at work and tape rapidly being pulled by it's spindle.  He would usually hear my eager footsteps and yell above the holiday tunes  "Don't come in here, you will ruin it for yourself!" I backtracked my steps and sat impatiently in the living room awaiting the placement of gifts under the tree.  He would bring them out one by one, each more beautiful than the one before.  It was always a production too.  He would come out of his room,  march over to the tree, lay the gift down and say " This one is special, this one is for my Jenny" then clap his hands with happiness.  When he was gone, I would have my own fun gazing at the wrapped surprises and getting lost in the whimsical Christmas patterns that invaded my site.  The bows atop would reflect the light from the tree beautifully.  The gift tags were heavily detailed and sometimes even interactive!  Pete was Santa all the way!

APPLICATION -

This morning, I made a visit to Mom and Dad's.  While giving me a tour of the house after doing a good weekend cleaning, they brought me to a bag.  It was long and carried pretty good weight.  Mom said "Look what Peter left us"  It was HIS bag of magical wrapping paper, detailed gift tags and reflective bows!  She said " He was a nut about gift wrap, feel how heavy this thing is!"  I opened the bag and wanted to jump in!  Rolls of wrapping paper that were used the year before he passed, were temporarily on vacation until he put them to work again.  Glad to know Peter's gift wrap can be under our tree this Christmas.  Actually, there is so much of it ....... we have enough for the next few years!

REFLECTION - 

Note To Self  :  Don't buy wrapping paper!  

No comments:

Post a Comment