Saturday, October 30, 2010

Man Of Many Faces - Day 33 of 365

MEMORY -

Uncle Pete.   A man of few words but a man of many faces.

I don't think he ever realized how animated he really was.  If you weren't captured by his words, his facial reactions would surely draw you in.    It was always fun to watch his response to something that caught him off guard.  He would close his eyes, give his head a quick shake from side to side, let out a sound of shock beneath his breath and yell "WHAT?" in a short toned voice.  The look of puzzlement seem to capture my attention.  Didn't see that face too often.  Nothing puzzled Pete, he seemed to know all .......  all the time.

APPLICATION -

I was going through some files on my computer, when I came across a family vacation aboard a Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship. I flipped through the photos in amazement.  Every picture of Pete was different. The rest of the family had similar facial expressions throughout the whole trip, but Peter stood out!

REFLECTION -

Pete did more than just smile for the camera.  He gave the person behind the lens something more to look at.  A few of my favorites moments caught on film:

A magical smile after an unforgettable sleigh ride

The longest sad face imaginable, covered with silly string

The "Proud Uncle" grin as he helps me unwrap my first Mac laptop

Face of curiosity as he observes a drunk man putting a beer bottle into the hand of a Caesar statue

Eyes of delight as he kicks through a street of foam snow while listening to Christmas carols

Standing in "awe"  while taking a photograph of  a historical statue

The face that could say a thousand words, as he points to the spot on Chicago ground where we'd make snow angels in the past years.

Then of course ...... the face of absolute surprise, when he realizes he is falling out of his lounge chair as a result of drinking too many Coco Locos!

  Out of all the different faces Pete demonstrated, I noticed that one in particular remained consistent.  Every picture that him and I were together, his face glows with complete wholeness that tells the world "I'm with my Jenny and that's all that matters"

No comments:

Post a Comment