Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pete's Magic Apron - Day 27 of 365

MEMORY -

It was on many Sundays, like the one today.  Uncle Pete would proudly wear his red and white striped apron, and transform the kitchen into a workspace fit for a Chef.  It was like magic.  He would make something out of nothing.  I was always shocked when he told me the limited amount of ingredients he was using.

I remember walking into a home heavily scented of garlic and basil.   I'd pop my head around the corner to check in on the master chef himself.   He would call me over to the stove where I would get a taste of his work in progress.  Never short of amazing, even in the early stages of cook time.

When he wore that apron, he was more than just a man not wanting to get his shirt dirty.  He became a provider for the family.  EVERY Sunday he prepared our family with a meal that would have our taste buds dancing in flavor.  Just before he served the meal, he would briskly wipe his hands on the apron, undo the ties in the back and hang it in the pantry until the following week.  It seemed him and this apron had a " same time, same place" meeting arrangement week after week.  It was something he could count on and something we could look forward too.  Within his collection of cooking tools, the apron was the first he used and the last to put away, being the most used item in the kitchen.


APPLICATION -

Today I decided to have the family over for dinner.  As I was hunting down the needed ingredients from the pantry, I noticed his apron.  I decided to hang it on the wall in our kitchen to remind me of his cooking days, but never thought about wearing it.  In the midst of chopping garlic and boiling water, I decided to give the apron a shot.  If anything, maybe Pete's talent would rub off on me.  Lord knows I need it when I'm in a kitchen surrounded by heat and knives!  As I walked into the living room, a glimpse of myself reflected clearly through the sliding glass door.  I couldn't help but remember all the good moments this well loved piece of fabric was apart of.

The once lonely Williams-Sonoma apron that hung from a kitchen wall, is now brought back to life in a new kitchen with a new Chef.  It was indeed a staple in Pete's Sunday wardrobe, and it seems to be making it's way into mine.

REFLECTION -

I know wearing this apron won't improve my cooking skills,  but as it did with Pete, it will remind me that providing for the family can be as simple as preparing a meal.  A meal made with time, effort  and most importantly, love.  Good meals will come and go, but the magic of that apron will always remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment