Sunday, October 3, 2010

Piece of Cake - Day 6 of 365

MEMORY -

Sunday.  The one day of the week the family would come together for a nice Italian meal.  Every Sunday, we could count on Uncle Pete to transform the kitchen into an Italian eatery.  He would always call to verify Erik and I were joining them.  Today, I thought of Pete as my mom invited Erik and I over for a Sunday serving of Spaghetti and Meatballs.  We haven't had that dish in that house since he made his last serving.   She did her best to try to match Pete's ......  and it came pretty darn close.  The main meal was great, but the dessert was better.  Better, not because of taste, but because of volume!

Mom always made sure us kids ate healthy.  Uncle Pete would ALWAYS bring a BIG dessert to the table and I think it drove her nuts.  It was usually a rich chocolate cake .... one of which, was way too large for us to finish.   He always went over the top when it came to dessert time.  I was shocked after dinner tonight when Mom brought out a chocolate molten cake! I thought to myself "Where's the watermelon?"  I guess it couldn't be Pete's Sunday dinner without going BIG and doing it right! We all laughed as we shared stories of Pete over a cake that was clearly way to much for our DeLuca party of 5.

APPLICATION -

I took my time and enjoyed the cake, one sinful calorie at a time.   I was proud of Mom for staying true to the details of Pete's dinner.  As much as I knew she'd prefer to serve fruit, she served what Peter would have wanted for us on a Sunday after a delicious Italian meal.  I guess you can say "We got to have our cake and eat it too!"  I know Pete was smiling down on us this evening.   He may not be able to enjoy earthly pleasures anymore like we did tonight  ...... but I can guarantee, his soul is bursting with sweetness we can't even begin to compare to that of a chocolate cake.


REFLECTION -

When cooking a loved ones meal, do it the way that THEY would do it. Try your best to not miss any of the details.  It will make it that much more yummy for both the stomach and the soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment